Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest RSS Feed

Jan 11, 2010

Serenity. Courage. Wisdom.



"God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things that I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference."

These words has been my source of self-encouragement throughout these last few years. As i whispered it to myself when I'm down, i somehow feel the urge to get back on my own two feet, and get back to life. However, one need to be willing to let go of all the burdening questions and willing to accept life as simple and as cruel as it is.

Originally written by Reinhold Niebuhr, the "prayer" is usually used as an encouragement statement for those people involved in group therapy: for narcotics, alcohol, etc. anonymous. It is embedded in the twelve-step program is a set of guiding principles outlining a course of action for recovery from addiction, dependency, compulsion, depression, or other emotional and behavioral problems.

This strong words have been used broadly from sermons, musical lyrics, movies, and other self-encouragement books.

Here's the full version of the original prayer:

God, give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed,
courage to change the things which should be changed,

and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other.

Living one day at a time,

Enjoying one moment at a time,

Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is,

Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,

If I surrender to Your will,

So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,

And supremely happy with You forever in the next.

Amen.


Serenity. Courage. Wisdom.
I am bound to those words so deeply that I may (one day) have it inked on my skin :)


Serenity (seion) - Courage (yuuki) - Wisdom (chie)

0 comments:

What say you?